Navigation

Overview Sightseeing

local_see 63

Kaag en Braassem has a unique character with many windmills, churches, heritage sites, museums, parks and special places that it accommodates. Take the time to see them up close.

Dekkermolen

location_on Van Klaverweijdeweg 25
Hoogmade

This small smock mill was built around 1911, to drive a circular saw in the mill building company of Jan Dekker. After abolishing the company the mill was moved to a mill building company in Rijnsaterwoude.

Sluis Nieuwe Wetering

location_on Sluis 1
Nieuwe Wetering

Remonstrantse Kerk

location_on Kerkstraat 41
Oude Wetering

Googermolen

location_on Googermolenweg 1
Oude Wetering

In 1717 the Googermolen was built to drain the Googerpolder. The current miller is Jos van der Donk.

Oorlogsmonument Noordhoek

location_on Noordhoek
Roelofarendsveen

Oudendijksepoldermolens

location_on Polder Oudendijk
Woubrugge
label

Munnikkenmolen

location_on Peter van der Voortpad 4
Leiderdorp

O.L. Vrouw Geboorte - De Goede Herder Hoogmade

location_on Kerkstraat 57
Hoogmade
label

Museum Oud Alkemade

location_on Saskia van Uylenburchlaan
Oude Wetering

Lijkermolen no. 1

location_on Poeldijk 8
Rijpwetering

Together Lijkermolen No. 1 and Lijkermolen No. 2 form a unique duo. They are the only twelve-sided stone mills in the Netherlands. The two ground-sailers (windmills that can be controlled from the ground) were built in 1780 on a pond which had had its peat removed (the current Drooggemaakte Veender- en Lijkerpolder) to drain it dry.

PKN kerk: 'Kerk aan de Does'

location_on Vissersweg 1a
Hoogmade

Galerie Leni van Santen

location_on Van Klaverweijdeweg
Hoogmade

Kagerplassen (Lakes of Kaag)

location_on Kagerplassen
Kaag

The watersport area the ‘Kageplassen’ (lakes of Kaag) are centrally situated in the ‘Randstad’, between Amsterdam and Leiden and is the oldest watersports area of the Netherlands.

Vlietmolen

location_on Vlietkade 1
Hoogmade

The Vlietmolen was built in 1913 to drain the Vlietpolder, after its predecessor burnt down. The top of the Vlietmolen wasn’t newly built, but originated from a smock mill from Ter Aar.

Grosmolen

location_on Doespolderweg 4
Hoogmade

This smock mill dated 1640 was used to drain the Voorofse or Grospolder. It was a working mill until 1956, after which it deteriorated.

Veendermolen

location_on Aderweg 2
Roelofarendsveen

This round stone ground-sailor lies on the banks of the Wijde Aa in Roelofarendsveen. The substructure is dated from 1830, the top was built in 1934 by the mill making company Verbij from Hoogmade.

Dorpskerk Leimuiden

location_on Dorpsstraat 49
Leimuiden

Akkerslootmolen

location_on Akkerslootpolder 7
Rijpwetering

The Akkerslootmolen is an eight sided thatched rof ground-sailor dated from 1793. The mill can be deployed to drain te Akkersloot, Hertogs and Blijverspolder.

Waterloosmolen

location_on Achterdijk 11
Rijpwetering

The Waterloosmolen is an eight-sided, thatched roof ground-sailor, built in 1857 to drain the Waterloos polder.

Atelier StephArts

location_on Hoogmadeseweg 1
Rijpwetering

The Buurtermolen

location_on Buurterpolder
Rijpwetering

The Buurtermolen, believed to have been built in the 18th century, was used to drain the Buurterpolder up to 1968. When this task was taken over by an electric pumping station, the hollow post mill fell into disrepair.

Moppemolen

location_on Poeldijk 16
Rijpwetering

The Moppemolen was built in 1752 after fire destroyed its predecessor. Together with the Meerkrek this ground-sailer was used for drainage of the Veenderpolder and the Lijkerpolder beyond the dikes.

Hoogmadese molen

location_on Noordeinde 34a
Hoogmade

The Hoogmadese windmill has been used for draining the Hoogmadesche polder and the Piestpolder since 1897. It is built on the foundations of an old hollow post windmill, which was in too poor a condition to be restored.

De Jonge Willem / De Zonnemolen

location_on Groenewoudskade 15
Roelofarendsveen

Kalkmolen

location_on Doespolderkade (geen adres)
Hoogmade

The Kalkmolen is a smock mill and was built in 1684 to drain the Kalkpolder in Leiderdorp. The mill was partly broken down in 2006 and temporarily stored.

R.K. kerk St. Jan de Doper

location_on Willem van der Veldenweg 24
Leimuiden

Woudse Dom

location_on Herenweg 26
Rijnsaterwoude

Originally De Woudse Dom in Rijnsaterwoude was a Roman Catholic church. The year of construction is unknown. After the Iconoclasm in 1556 the church became Protestant. The first pastor was Reverend Snoeckaert in 1573.

Protestantse Kerk te Kaag

location_on Julianalaan 7
Kaag

Sint-Bavokerk

location_on Leidseweg 4
Oud Ade

Het Braassemermeer (The Braassemer Lake)

location_on Braassemermeer
Kaag en Braassem

This area is home to many markets and is full of activities. The many villages, such as Roelofarendsveen, Rijpwetering, Oude Wetering and Ter Aar are characterised by intensive agriculture and horticulture.

De Spreng

location_on Kerkstraat 50
Oude Wetering

De Schakel

location_on Kerkstraat 11
Oude Wetering

Aquaduct

location_on Molendijk
Nieuwe Wetering Roelofarendsveen Weteringbrug

Museum Van Hemessen

location_on Dokter Lothlaan
Woubrugge

Veense Sluis (Veen Lock)

location_on Noordkade 3
Roelofarendsveen

In 1632 the polder was closed due to flooding of the Braassem. Four wooden locks were built for water regulation and accessibility. The current sluice dates from 1897 and replaced the first, wooden sluice. This is the only lock remaining in the area.

Watertoren

location_on Noordhoek 7
Roelofarendsveen

The water tower in Roelofarendsveen was built in 1931 to a design by the architect Hendrik Sangster. The tower is 31.5 meters high and has a water reservoir of 150 m³. Due to the enormous tulip on the stucco facades, the water tower is a striking landmark in the surroundings of Roelofarendsveen.

Mills in Kaag & Braassem

Kaag & Braassem counts 20 mills, well actually 20 and 2 halves. Read more about the mills in our municipality.

Mariakapel

location_on Dijkstraat
Roelofarendsveen

Vrouw Vennemolen

location_on Leidseweg 3
Oud Ade

The Vrouw Vennemolen in Oud Ade dates from the 17th century and was largely renovated in 1835. The hollow post windmill with a red painted upper house can be used to drain the Vrouw Vennepolder.

Atelier Ruben van der Meer

location_on Vriezekoop Noord
Leimuiden

Lijkermolen No. 2

location_on Poeldijk 1
Rijpwetering

​Together Lijkermolen No. 1 and Lijkermolen No. 2 form a unique duo. They are the only twelve-sided stone mills in the Netherlands. The two ground-sailers (windmills that can be controlled from the ground) were built in 1780 on a pond which had had its peat removed (the current Drooggemaakte Veender- en Lijkerpolder) to drain it dry.

Idyllic spot in Bilderdam

location_on Bilderdam 20
Bilderdam

Woonhuis Kerkstraat 7

location_on Kerkstraat 7
Oude Wetering

Dorpskerk Woubrugge

location_on Comriekade 7
Woubrugge

Geestmolen

location_on Heiligegeestlaan 6
Rijnsaterwoude

For the desiccation of the Grote Heilige Geestpolder, the Geestmolen, a ground-sailor, was built in 1707. On the burr of the mill however, it says 1833, in this year the top of the mill was fully restored.

Atelier Feike de Vries

location_on Van Eeghenstraat
Woubrugge

Doesmolen

location_on Doespolderkade 5
Hoogmade

The Doesmolen is most likely built in 1636 and forms a couple with the Kalkmolen. Together they drain the Doespolder.

Meerburgermolen

location_on Peter van der Voortpad 2
Leiderdorp
label

Onze Lieve Vrouw Geboortekerk

location_on Pastoor van der Plaatstraat 17
Rijpwetering

Adermolen

location_on Aderpolder 3
Rijpwetering

The Adermolen is a ground-sailor from 1941. It’s a mill which can be operated from the ground. This round stone windmill with thatches roof is being used to drain the Aderpolder. The mill, an eight sided jack mill, which originally drained this poder, burnt down in 1880.

Oude Pastorie

location_on Kerkstraat 10
Oude Wetering

Rodemolen

location_on Roode polder (geen adres)
Oud Ade

The Rodemolen in Oud Ade was built in 1632 to drain the Westlagelandspolder. The name of this polder didn’t last long, as in 1654 it already was mentioned the Roodmolenpolder (red mill polder), the current name is, in short, Rode Polder. So the polder was mentioned after the mill intead of the other way round.

Boerderij Buitenverwachting

location_on Vlietkade 2
Hoogmade

De Vergulde Vos Regthuys van Alkemade

location_on Koppoellaan 22
Rijpwetering

Blauwemolen

location_on Blauwemolenweg 10
Rijpwetering

The Blauwe Polder (Blue Polder) owes his name to the smock mill with the blue painted top, which drained the polder. When this smock mill was broken down, in 1903. Mill maker Vrijburg from Oud Ade built the current Blauwemolen in 1904. With parts of an old ‘Boezemmolen’ (drainage mill) dated 1774 from Hillersberg.

Kagermolen (Kager Windmill)

location_on Balgerij
Kaag

De Kager is a hollow post mill from the 17th century. The windmill has a red upper house and was completely restored in 1965.

Atelier Ada Gons Goosen

location_on Bilderdam
Bilderdam

Zorgtuin De Tas

Zorgtuin De Tas

location_on Huigsloterdijk
Weteringbrug
label

Ghoyhuys

Ghoyhuys

location_on Zuidzijderweg 4
Oud Ade

informatie

Are you visiting Kaag en Braassem Promotion as a tourist and would you like more information?

Tourist information
informatie

Want to know more about how Kaag en Braassem can best be reached by car, bus, bicycle or boat?

Accessibility
informatie

Looking for all practical matters, civil affairs and more about the municipality of Kaag en Braassem?

www.kaagenbraassem.nl